Registration Renewal Fees in North Carolina
Renewing your registration will require you to pay a few types of fees: your vehicle registration fee, a late fee (if applicable), vehicle property tax, additional fees and, if you choose to renew through our site, our agency fee. The fees are broken down as follows:
Vehicle Registration Fee:
- The state fee to renew a Private Passenger vehicle is $38.75. If you are renewing your Motorcycle the state fee is $25.50 and Trailers or Semi-Trailers are $27.00.
- Private Truck fees are determined by weight. For a Private Truck under 4,000 pounds, a renewal is $38.75. Private Trucks under 5,000 pounds are renewed for $56.75 and under 6,000 pounds costs $67.00. Private Buses renew for $40.00.
- Commercial Vehicle renewal rates vary. To inquire prior to payment, you can contact the state at (919) 715-7000
Late Fee (if applicable):
- If your decals have already expired, you will pay a late fee when you renew. The amount is determined by how long your registration has been expired and may be pro-rated based upon the number of days since expiration. Registrations less than 1 month expired assess a $15.00 fee. Renewals one to two months expired accrue $20.00 in late fee charges and renewals two or more months expired accrue a $25.00 late fee.
- In addition to your late fee, you may also assess Property Tax Interest and Registration Interest for your tardy renewal. You will be charged 5% interest on the amount you owe plus 0.75% each additional month you are delinquent in payment.
Vehicle Property Tax:
- You will also be taxed based upon the appraised value of your vehicle depending on your county Vehicle Property Tax rate. The tax will charge a percentage of your vehicle value for your county and may also charge additional city taxes as well. You will see the county charge for this tax and may also see city taxes for your fire department, schools, police, etc. The amount will range based upon your vehicle and where you live but can be as low as $24.00 or up to $230.00 or more. The amount range varies so much because it is based on factors unique to you. The amount you will be charged is listed on your renewal notice.
- Electric Vehicle owners are charged $130 in addition to your registration fees. This additional fee applies to all plug-in electric vehicles. The only exceptions to this fee are low-speed electric vehicles that rely on a nonelectric source of power.
Third Party Agency Fee:
- This site charges an agency fee starting at $12.00 to process your online transaction with the state on your behalf. This fee is not required and will not be assessed if you choose to renew your vehicle through the official state portal. There are valuable benefits associated with this fee, including One-Click Renewal, Night/Weekend email support, quick status checks, error-free processing, DMV advocates and much more. We also guarantee your satisfaction, so if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us.
- On the checkout page for your renewal, you will see the above listed fees detailed according to your vehicle specifications. The total cost to you will be clearly itemized for you prior to payment.
- Please note that the fees that you will see associated with your vehicle on this website are an estimate based upon the information you have provided to us (car type, vehicle location, etc.) and the final amount charged to your card may vary slightly when we process your transaction with the state.
- One-Click Renewals
- Fast Status Checks
- FREE Sticker Replacement
- Secure Processing
- Satisfaction Guarantee
- Night/Weekend Support
- Multiple Payment Options
- Apple Pay Accepted
"Wow! I have to say I am seriously impressed. To your management and team...I must say I seriously applaud the responsiveness and quick action on your end."-Steffan M., Texas
"I'm really impressed of how quickly you respond. Probably the best Customer Support I have ever had the pleasure of corresponding with."-Jon L., Texas
"THANK YOU FOR THE PROMPT REPLY, YOU FOLKS CONTINUE TO DO GREAT WORK PLEASE DON'T CHANGE A THING."-Richard D., Virginia